InstaTurf Project Spotlight
Project Name: Peabody Coal Constructed Streambanks Stabilization
Product: ShearForce10™ ECTRM
Application: Overwinter Protection and Vegetation Establishment on Constructed Streambanks
Project Owner: Peabody Coal, Somerville IN Mine
Regulatory Oversight: Army Corps of Engineers
Time Frame: Installation of ShearForce10 on Oct 25, 2018
- Standard cool season annual/perennial grass and legume mix
- Silty Clay Loam soil
- Approximate 6ft wide stream channel bottom (left unprotected for natural substrate)
- Stream channel bottom gradient <1%
- Variable gradient sideslopes (protected with ShearForce10 ECTRM)
- Drainage from 120 acres of reclaimed mineland
- Over 30 inches of rainfall from Oct 25, 2018 through April 30, 2019
Test application for the InstaTurf ShearForce10 ECTRM at protecting the highly erodible banks of a constructed stream channel through reclaimed mineland over the winter months, while establishing permanently reinforced vegetation.
Above: InstaTurf ShearForce10 ECTRM Installed Oct 25, 2019 on seeded streambank. The ShearForce10 did an excellent job of protecting the streambanks through a two inch rainfall on Nov 1, which generated bank-overtopping flows. Grasses were starting to emerge thru mats on November 8, 2019.
Above: Unusually heavy rains throughout the fall, winter and spring months flooded the stream channel on numerous occasions.
Above: ShearForce10 effectively armored the streambanks through all flood events, sustaining a good stand of vegetation by April 30, 2019.